Re: [IP] (IP) Diabetes horrible?? (My opinion)

I think it is the complications that get to us, dear.  I was coping with
quite enough growing up legally blind from birth already and then along came
the 'betes.

For something that is not our fault, we sure have to explain a lot to health
For something that is not our fault, we have a lot more expense in our lives
and some of us have even lost jobs over the diagnosis of diabetes.

Other times I've met parents who bear an underlying resentment toward their
diabetic child because of the expense and insurance costs have put a
hardship on the family.

I agree that there may be some good about it, as I wrote in before, but
let's face facts here. It is the "polyanna" approach which is partially
responsable for diabetes being last in the line for research funding,
because many folks think we're "not REALLY sick" and that it "Isn't all that

Whilst we may be able to cope with it and 'deal with it', I think the
question should be; Why the hell should we have to?

Yes exercise is popular, but when you want to go on a mountain biking
expedition with your friends and have to prepare like you're going on a
Jungle Safari, or have one of your pals have to call 911 on you because of a
slight miscalculation on the carbs, or whatever, It gets a bit frustrating.

I wake up everyday wondering if my foot feeling sleepy is because of the
diabetes or just because I may have slept in a funky position. I wonder if
the pain in my back is from the kidneys, or because I helped my buddy move
yesterday.  If the pain in my eye is the prematurity related blindness or is
diabetes about to take more away from me?

No, at this time I don't have any diabetic comps.  I get worried and nervous
though.  You sound young, healthy otherwise and that 'betes won't do a lot
to you.  I pray you're right, and that you'll have a cure soon.  But I have
had a lot of "Close calls" in my days and can't say that I want to keep THIS
Pommy Mommy.
Jenny S.