[IP] Re: teens and diabetes

Spot wrote:

<<When I had diabetes I had ample opportunity as an intern on
Pathology to see what diabetes did to people and was depressed for months
and still am. I do not consider the use of limb amputations blindness and
neuropathic pain a suitable stimulus for caring for ones self which must
arise from a positive self image and a feeling that we are not defectives.
furthermore what a thing to look forward to as a teen or pre teen
adolescent kid. I was glad to find out that NPH would generally stop me
from, wanting to pee every time I was waiting for a bus.>>

I was never told horror stories or showed pictures of what could happen if I
didn't take care of myself and my diabetes.  I was dx'd at 11 and went
through all the horrible teen years with it.  Perhaps I'm just unusual, but
I never let diabetes stop me from LIVING!  I followed what I was supposed to
do (within reason) and enjoyed myself as much as I could.  No one, not even
my doctor, ever told me "you can't do that because you're diabetic".  I
always had a very positive attitude and life, and here I am, 37 years later,
healthy and without complications... :o)