[IP] A vent on iron infusion

On Monday I got called at 11:30 a.m. (woke me from my morning nap) from the
nephrologist's office. I was told to go to the hospital on Thursday (today)
for a 4-hr. iron I.V.  They know how hard it is for me to get around in the
mornings and I asked what time. She said she had to make the app't and would
call me back. I said I hope it's not too early. She called and said 8:00
a.m., I thought about you but that's the best I could do.  I went dragging
in and of course we had discussions before inserting the needle. They gave
me a small dose and waited an hour to see if I had a reaction before
starting the I.V.  After that started, I heard more talking with other
patients who had come in and heard times like 10:00. I said, Don't tell me I
could have come in today at 10. YES!!!  Well, I also wasn't told I have to
p.m.  Dudn't sound like 4 hours to me!

Now,  W H Y  don't they tell the pt ALL the times and details like this was
to be done for TWO days?  Today is my hugsband's birthday and what IF we had
plans to take a long weekend tomorrow and I wasn't told. This irks me, and
me hugsband tells me I should complain to only those who can make a
difference. Sorry for telling you since you can't - well, maybe there are
some medical people on here who can see the difference it makes in people's
lives. Med people should know not everything can be done at the drop of med
people's hats. A little consideration is called for. 8^(

A few tidbits that happened while there: How many calories a day can you
have with your pump? Said by an Early Intervention person who knew *all
about* DM.  And the son of a patient said, "It sounds like you need to eat
more liver."  NOW, if eating some liver would prevent me from getting iron
infused into me over a 2-day period, don't you think I'd learn to eat it?
The nurse told him some bodies don't process iron when in kidney failure. I
told him 6 years of EPO injections and 300 mg of iron a day hasn't done it,
so this is the next step. YMMV