[IP] Simulating DM

> Recently many people have talked about getting a teen to "do diabetes
> correctly". Any of you voluntarily willing to simulate "living with
> diabetes" for a month? Or even a week? I have heard of a professor who
> gave that assignment to some of his med students; they all refused.
> Jim S.

In the mid '80s I was the president of our local DM support/education group
(for 2.5 yrs). I was making changes and the group tripled in size. I was
being criticized for some of my *help* by non-diabetics. I drew up a
schedule for someone to volunteer for a month to be a *pretend* DMer and
report their findings. NO ONE WOULD. The staff advisor said, "No! I don't
want to be known as a diabetic!"  (I once had a nurse tell me in the
hospital that of all the diseases, she would not want DM -- like I had a

My plan was:
Poke yourself with a lancet, but to save costs do not use a strip. Just get
the poker out and do that 4 times a day AT THE RIGHT TIMES - not just when
it occurs to you!
Carry a ballpoint pen, and before each meal, poke yourself with the pen so
there is a blue mark indicating it had been done. That, of course, then, had
to be prepped with an alcohol swab each time.
Have a scheduled diet plan (exchanges back then) and STICK TO IT.

A month can get pretty old pretty fast - think of these teens; it was old
long ago and it is for a lifetime.  I heard the teen years described as
converting your home into a restaurant and still living there while the
remodeling is taking place. A lot of confusion, frustration, clutter, and
mazes (amazes) going on. Add DM to that - it's quite a load.  I can't put my
teen years input to this since I had to pee on my hand to catch it to test -
therefore didn't. It was unreliable anyway. Mom said I often had
fruity-smelling breath, so Sara SP, I guess I was living with ketones most
of the time, too. I didn't get to go to slumber parties and we had only
saccharin for iced tea (blechhh). I was given a *death sentence* anyway and
had no hope. I picked the ripe old age of 35 to be dead.

Alas, I've lived with this for 49 years and 11 months today!!! ܰ  Anyone
else besides Jan StillLow & Elvis, Roger Campbell and Hockey Puck in tow,
RoseLea and Oscar, Kim Bittle & Brad (son), and Susanne Cole & Mary (dtr)
headed for my BASH???  email @ redacted  lemme know and I'll give you
the details if you're within spittin' distance of Notre Dame 11/4/00 (South
Bend, IN)  I have worked out a discount at a Days Inn and have discount
tickets to visit the College Football Hall of Fame for attendees, too.