Re: [IP] Re:Sara Smarty Pants

email @ redacted wrote:
> Oh sh-t, I've made Sara mad at me....I knew this day would come.
> I didn't have the horrible "look at these gross pictures" at the hospital
> like you did. Thanks for another perspective. I did have an uncle who had
> an amputated foot. Watching him eat whatever he felt like, then losing
> his foot, was enough scare tactics for me. But, I agree, it doesn't work
> for everyone. Plus, it's not really fair to the people with the
> complications 'on exhibit'. Many of them tried hard to control their
> diabetes during a time when they didn't have meters and pumps, et al. So
> here I am, blaming the victim, and then putting them on display.
> Thanks, Sara Smarty Pants, for putting me straight. Now I really am
> 'scared straight'.
> Maureen M.

It gets even more uncomfortable to acknowledge that some of those
victims with amputations or ? were taking better care of themselves than
I will ever be able to...and they still got complications... If I focus
on "prevention" and not living, I may one day run into a wall that will
stop me dead cause I had unrealistic expectations of the outcome...

Doing anything out of fear takes a great toll.

Jim S.