Re: [IP] cry for help, different story

>Eve feels that she is different from the other kids at school, they don't
>have to bolus for meals or test her bg's, why should she have to. She won't
>go down to the nurses office when she is feeling high or low to test her
>bg's, again she would be different. The school will let her test in all
>classrooms and she does carry a meter with her in school, but she won't
>check her bg's b/c that would make her different. Once again I don't clue
>what to do. Every time I try to talk to her about this she says "mom  you
>don't know what it's like to have diabetes, you don't have to do this
>stuff".  I don't know how to help her.
>Deborah mom to Eve 13
>Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99

Try picking up a book on self esteem and/or building self esteem in
children.  I was there, being diag at age 9, 27 years ago.  Why does it
make us feel bad to be different?  Because we feel like we're less than the
other kids.  Why?  Because of lack of self esteem strong enough to make us
realize that just because we are different doesn't mean we are "less" than
the other kids.  Also an adequate level of self esteem means that one
automatically sees the fault as being with the other person who judges us
based on our diabetes and not ourselves!  That those people aren't worth
hanging around anyway.

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!