[IP] scared straight?

Maureen wrote
>  I agree that seeing older people with amputations can
> scare you into sense. It worked for me.

NOT ME!!!!!  I sooooooooo completely disagree with this...of course everyone
is different, but the classes and photos and lectures when I was a young teen
ager did NOTHING but turn me off.  I walked OUT of the hospital classroom
when I was 12 and refused to go back in unless they stopped showing pictures.

In my opinion, it is best NOT to scare a kid, or anyone else, right off the
bat, with what MIGHT happen if you don't take care of yourself...cuz you KNOW
there are some people who DO take great care of them selves but they still
have complications.  I wish someone had taught me/told me how GREAT my life
could be if I took even a SLIGHT amount of care for my self!  How I would
never be made to feel different or be excluded from activities because I was
"sick."  I WISH someone had helped me make the connection between having to
pee all the time and HIGH blood sugar!!!  For the first 6 years of being a
diabetic, I thought my constant peeing was BECAUSE I had diabetes....There it
was...in black and white, in all the reading material....Symptoms of
diabetes:  FREQUENT URINATION. I assumed since I had diabetes, the peeing was
PART of it!  No where, in any of my books or lectures, did ANYONE ever tell
me, "if your blood sugar is in control you won't have to pee so much..."

Dammit...it just pisses me off right now..i think about the humiliation I
faced in 9th grade.  A huge school group took a trip to the east coast.  We
took a bus from DC to NY and about an hour from NY I had to go something
FIERCE!!!!!  I told the teacher I was "sick"...she handed me a bag to vomit
in...I said no I was "really really sick."  Finally, when I thought I was
gonna explode, she had the bus...and the other SIX buses in our caravan,
stop...so I could pee.  There were other events like that.  I TOOK my shots,
I more or less followed my exchange diet, (more LESS than MORE obviously).
Having diabetes MEANT you had to pee a lot...I HATED diabetes for THAT alone!

Diabetes SUCKS and nothing can change that...not scary pictures or hellfire
and brimstone lectures about what will happen to your feet.  Thank whatever I
found out the "TRUTH" when I was 20...I was, for the "first" time diagnosed
with DKA and hospitalized...please, I said...I feel like this ALL the time!
Are you telling me the last 10 YEARS I have been in DKA?  Probably so, I
imagine...but NOW i knew...NOW I knew what the feeling was and how it could
be FIXED!!!!!!!

Of course then I OVER compensated with the insulin...and gained more than my
freshman twenty....boing boing boing....

All I wrote in my diary on my day of diagnosis was....."found out I have
diabetes.  mom cried.  Played outside"

yeah yeah, if hindsight isn't 20/20 now, eh kids???

Sara, who now can go all day without peeing and hasn't wet her bed in
SEVENTEEN years!!!