[IP] Re:Teresa's cry for help

I know you've already gotten lots of advice, but I'm still going to put
my two cents in. I've had diabetes 20 years, since I was ten, and I
remember high school too well. However, back then, we didn't have pumps
and testing was quite new. I must have tested at lunch, but I really
don't remember much. I did talk to my teachers and explain what to do for
an insulin reaction. Also, I worked in the school clinic, and had a good
rapport with the nurse there, who was quite knowledgeable.

Despite all this, I remember lots of embarrassment. I distinctly remember
being low once during a morning break, and my knees went out. I would
walk and fall. A good friend knew what was going on, and walked me to the
clinic, but I remember people laughing at me the whole long walk.

Aaron sounds like a really smart kid, and you sound like a great Mom. As
a former diabetic teenager, I know that nagging will make it worse, and
please don't take his pump away. Small steps sound like a good solution.
Also, he's smart enough to sit down and work out a plan with him. You may
be able to talk with him and work out his biggest fears (someone will see
him test--what is he really fearing about what they will think about
him--how can he turn this around into something less fearful? talk out
possible endings to this scenario) and smaller fears. Try working on a
small fear per week/month, and a big fear per month. This may take most
of the school year, but it will be worth it. Fear is crippling, and it
sounds like depression is there too. Diabetics have a higher degree of
depression than the rest of the population. I do, and wish I had gotten
help sooner. This approach, and long-term counseling, may work.

Also, he seems like he has quite an aptitude for computers. Could he show
you how to download his real numbers as he gets them? This may give him
some control back. Link patterns in blood sugars to his science
class--he's probably in biology now. By doing this, I gained an interest
in scientific research. Use diabetes as a hidden weapon to understanding
math or science better than his peers.

I agree that seeing older people with amputations can scare you into
sense. It worked for me. Also, I had good, long-term friends who knew me
before diagnosis, and who I relied on to talk about the disease and help
me at school during testing or reactions. They still help me.

I hope this helped you somewhat. We're all praying for you both, and know
that it will work out. It you'd like to respond off-list to me, feel

Maureen M.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!