Re: [IP] cry for help.....(long)

We went through a denial period with Jessica, as well as depression.  The
depression was at age 4 and denial was at age 6, right after she got her
pump.  I was at a loss as to what to do, first with the depression then the
denial.  After all, how many depressed 4 year olds do you know?  With that,
we made it through just with lots of love hugs and an open ear.  She
verbalized very well at 4 and I just listened.  With the denial and
rebellion it was much harder actually.  Finally, I did the only thing I
could think of.  I took her to a "retirement home" along with her Brownie
Troop.  We planned it as a day of Christmas Caroling, handing out Christmas
cards the girls had made, and as a learning session for Jess.  She got to
meet many elderly people with Type 1 & 2 diabetes.  Many had complications,
several had amputations.  They all spoke freely with her.  It was a Tough
Love, slap in the face look at reality for her.  Nowadays when she feels
like not testing or doing what she should, I start talking about those
people she met, and she straightens up rather quickly.  I'm sure I will get
some flames about the way I have handled this situation, but it worked with
her.  You can talk about complications all you want, but it never really
sinks in until you see it or experience it firsthand.

Maybe some of the other kids here could write to Justin?  Just an idea.....

Nita in Texas
Mom of Jessica, age 8, diagnosed @ 9 months, pumping 2 years & Jarred, 10,
playing football and no broken bones yet!!!

Say Bye to Slow Internet!