[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #527

In a message dated 10/3/00 8:34:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 I have had it with these crazy numbers. >>

We are going through the same thing with our daughter Nadine, age (almost) 10.
Boy, are we frustrated with those numbers!   We can't find patterns, either,
and when we think we did find a pattern, everything changes by no more then 2
days later.  Also, it sure would be nice to not get up all night long to
check bgs, but I just never know if she's going to have some freaky low that
needs immediate attention.  Once she's low at night, Nadine keeps going lower
and lower...sometimes even though we treat.  When she goes to bed high, she
stays high as though the supplemental insulin has no effect at all.  One
night I figured "What the heck, I'll just let her go through the night high
and get some sleep.  At least she won't pass out on me with a low."  Well,
the next morning she was 367 and had ketones for the first time in 5 years.
Our days aren't much better :-(   I know, this doesn't help you, Lori, but I
feel encouraged just to hear that there are others out there where the pump
doesn't work like a dream come true.  It's only been 6 weeks for us, so we're
still hoping for the kinks to be ironed out some day soon!!

Let's hang in there together.  The alternative just doesn't seem very
appealing either: multiple shots, strict eating schedules etc..Yuck!