Re: [IP] cry for help.....(long)

I, like Renee, wish I could give you a huge hug and alleviate some of
your and Justin's pain. You're obviously a good mom because you
*care* and you're trying to do the best for Justin.

I'm not a parent of pumper, but I am a parent and a pumper. I agree
with everything Renee said in her wonderful post. I just wanted to
emphasize, having been a teenage diabetic, what Renee said about
Justin's wanting to be like his peers and being embarrassed about
testing. That is his reality, and I think the best approach is to
work from that. Brainstorm with him about how and when he can test
without drawing attention to himself. Maybe the bathroom stall--even
though my guess is that in 15 years, Justin will be like a lot of us
"older" diabetics who refuse to hide when testing. :-)

Don't punish him for not testing, emphasize that what you want (and
he needs) is the *information* that testing brings, whatever the BG
level. Tell him that the 346 isn't an indictment of him and his
character, it's merely a *data point* to help you and him figure out
what basals he needs, or boluses, or whatever. And, from what I know
of what I went through as a teen, don't react to those high numbers.
Just shrug and help him do what needs to be done. Praise him for
bolusing, praise him for whatever he's doing right.

And I think you're right in giving Justin responsiblilty, I just
think it may take some time for him to completely figure out how to
handle it. I don't think you taking over will help much. That will
just make you into the "diabetes police" and Justin will fight you,
not deal with the disease.

Hang in there and don't beat yourself up! Parenting by itself is
difficult enough, add diabetes into the mix and King Solomon would
have problems doing it.

Jenny Nash
email @ redacted
Type 1 diabetes since 1/31/73, pumping on a D. since 10/3/95.