Re: [IP] Re: Virus attachments

At 07:45 PM 10/03/00 email @ redacted wrote:
 >How do I do a virus scan on my Compaq?  I guess by now I am supposed to know
 >how but I haven't a clue and have never done it?  Jackie P

The brand of computer you have is irrelevant. You do have to have virus
scanning software loaded on your system, however. There are almost a dozen
brands out there and all have their followers. The two most widely used are
probably Norton's AntiVirus and McAfee VirusScan. Other common names are:
Dr Solomon, eSafe (Aladdin), F-Prot, Inoculan, PC-cillin and Sophos.

If you purchased a computer with software already loaded, you may have some
sort of anti-virus software already loaded. If you run windows, the place
to start looking is in Start/Programs and see if there is something listed.
Otherwise, you'll need to go out and purchase one ASAP.

Almost as important as running Anti-virus software is keeping it updated.
New viruses crop up almost daily. All this software has a means to go on
the Internet and download updates. Most have updates at least monthly, and
sometimes weekly.