[IP] Feet Asleep Thread

Hi Alecia,

I have had diabetes for 21 years, and I also find that my feet fall asleep
all the time.
I recently went through a stage where my feet were going numb about 6 times
a day!! I spoke to my endo, and she assured me that it was not diabetes
related, but only the way I sit. I didn't know if I liked that answer (as I
hadn't changed anything about the way that I sit), but now it has returned
to only happening two or three times a week. It is not really painful, just
more annoyoing.
Last year, I went skiing for the first time, and my left foot went numb, and
my toes did not get the feeling back in them for nearly a week. It was quite
painful, and I could hardly walk, so I spent the rest of the afternoon
sitting in a cafe on top of a hill, wondering how I was going to get down to
the bottom!! On the second day, I went and saw the doctor at the ski
village, and he said that he was sure that it was diabetes related as I had
had diabetes for so long. (Great thing to tell a person when you have never
seen them before in your life). Anyway, when I got back home, I rang my
endo, and she said that she doubted it was diabetes related as it had
happened so suddenly, and was more likely relating to either the boots I was
wearing, or the weather. She also said that the feeling should return in
about a week, which it did. (So all those tears about complications were not
I don't know whether this helps or not, but either way, you're not alone!!