Re: [IP] Dreading my endo appointment...

In a message dated 10/2/00 5:12:34 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< I am really dreading my appointment tomorrow >>

Oh, gosh, wouldn't it be nice if we could all get away from feeling
criticized by doctors' comments and test results and just use the input to
figure out whether what we did in the period involved was relevant to what we
want to do in the future?  Even after 46 years, I can't really do it either
<gr>, but at least I try to keep the awareness of it in my mind so that my
defensiveness and feelings of inadequacy don't complicate my relationship
with my doctor (any more than I can help <gr>).  And try to present facts in
as straightforward a manner as possible,  to minimize any misinterpretations.
 I have seen doctors over the years that had a lot of inappropriate reactions
to what I said (particularly often related to their personal needs to be the
one in control -- others related to their experience with the previous
patient, I suspect <gr>).  When I am able to be very straightforward about
facts (in which I try to include anything relevant to my control -- in this
sense, I would consider reporting of feelings of depression to be a fact, for
instance) myself, I find it tends to minimize those unhelpful personal
reactions from the doctor (or at least the verbalization of them <gr>).  I
guess I don't mind positive comments, but have never found negative ones very
useful, so have tried to train my endos (a difficult task) just not to be
judgmental at all with me <gr>

Linda Z