[IP] RE: Accu-Chek meter question

> What is the opinion of the Accu-Chek Advantage bg meter? I received a free
> one in the mail...took my bg with my Lifescan and it was 91, took it with
> the Accu-chek and it was 80. Can this be explained. Is one preferred over
> the other?
> Notha

Since the Advantage reports plasma readings, it depends on which Lifescan
meter you’re talking about.  The Profile and Basic report whole blood
readings while the FastTake and SureStep reports plasma readings which would
correlate better with, but not likely duplicate, the Accu-Check Advantage.
The two readings you give can both be accurate as they seem to be within the
recommended tolerance of meters.  The current (Sept. – Oct.) issue of
Diabetes Self-Management has a very good article; How Accurate is Your

With the increased use of insulin pumps and the desire for tighter bG
control there is a real need for meters with greater accuracy .  Current
meters are good for determining trends and the effects of different foods.
However, more accuracy is needed for making a treatment decision based on a
single reading.  Today's meters meet the FDA requirements for accuracy but
they do not yet meet the accuracy suggested by the ADA.  Does anyone use the
MediSense Precision Xtra?  Does it live up to the accuracy they claim?

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998