Re: [IP] success with sofset and other problems...

At 12:59 PM +0000 9/29/00, Yvonne Nicolas wrote:
>Also, I just discovered Eileen has been lying about testing at
>school before lunch. Has this happened to any other parents and how
>do we deal with this? I checked her meter, stupid me, not to have
>done it before, and noticed no checks for the last 2 or 3 days! When
>confronted, she said she wouldn´t do it again and of course I told
>her I would be checking her meter everyday.

Yvonne, have you asked her why she didn't test? Maybe she feels
self-conscious and there's nowhere private to test? Maybe her last
class before lunch runs long? Maybe someone teased or asked her about
her testing? Eileen's getting to the age where peer opinion is very
important. Ask her if there's a particular reason she's not testing.
Maybe it's at simple as forgetting--in that case a watch alarm might

I'm always filled with admiration for our pumping parents, I have 2
children and I can't imagine dealing with diabetes in either of them.
So my experience is on the other end, being the child (teen,
actually) who was dealing with DM. I would recommend encouraging
Eileen and being her ally. Testing every day at the same at school
isn't easy. Things always come up, either fun things or not-so-fun
things. Help her to figure out what's stopping her from testing and
to maneuver around those problems.

>  I also discovered a while back she was doing the same thing with
>the pump. She would sneak snacks and bolus without telling me. Found
>out by checking her pump boluses. Am very surprised, never thought
>she would do these things, after all the talking and education we
>have given her. I do understand she´s just a kid. My husband flipped
>out and threatened to take away her pump if she doesn´t start taking
>more care. Any advice would be appreciated.
>Sorry for this being so long.

I'm impressed that Eileen knows how to do bolus for snacks, and I
think you should be too. This is her disease, and one day, in the
not-so-distant future, she will have full responsibility for it.
She's already showing she's capable of it, and I think you should
tell her how proud you are of her for that. Plus, we have pumps so we
can eat when we're hungry and not eat when we're not. That's a big
part of it, although I know it can take a while to realize that, all
of a sudden, being diabetic doesn't mean you have to stick to a
regimented eating schedule anymore.

Good luck!

Jenny Nash
email @ redacted
Type 1 diabetes since 1/31/73, pumping on a D. since 10/3/95.