>In a message dated 10/31/99 5:12:28 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< My doctor also doesn't seem interested
>  in getting me on a pump.  As she says, "I've never had anyone ask to be on
>  the pump before. Most people would rather have the freedom that comes with
>  shots rather than being attached to a machine all the time."   >>
>This comment sure made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  What -- the
>freedom to eat at 8, 12, 5 and 9?  The freedom to go from 40 to 400 each day?
>  Any chance on changing Drs?

/soapbox on
Anyone that's been on a pump knows that you have MORE freedom on a pump
than on MDI. I can decide when (or if) to eat. I can decide to have an
extra snack or a treat. I can bolus where and when I please. The bottom
line is that I can live my life more like a non-diabetic than I could even
think of before and still maintain decent A1cs. Being attached to a machine
is something that most of us experienced pumpers rarely even think of
anymore... it's hardly an inconvenience. The benefits far out weigh even
the minor problems.

The problem is that most doctors do not have diabetes themselves. They
don't have a clue what living the rigid lifestyle of a diabetic is like.
We're just numbers and notes on a chart. If they ever tried living like
someone on MDI for a week, they'd be enthusiastically advocating the pump
without any prompting.
/soapbox off