[IP] Diabetes not perceived as disability

In a message dated 10/30/99 10:49:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:
<< That is how life goes and I try every chance
 I get to correct something if I see it .. >>

I think this is the reason that diabetes is not perceived as a disability.
We don't have a wheel chair, talk funny, or look any different from the rest
of the world.  So people don't think of our diabetes as being any kind of
disability worthy of any special consideration.  I had to push this legally
while working for Motorola and being forced to work 60-70 hour weeks for
months in a row.  This much desk sitting and exhaustion from the hours was
wreaking havoc on my control.  Not to mention the donunts put on my desk (you
need to enjoy some like the rest of us), and the catered dinners (like
bar-b-que full of sugar and fat) without diet sodas of course.  My physician
(and lawyer backup) forced them to put me on 40-hour weeks for 6 months.  I
quit after that so don't know how it would have panned out.  By the way,
fellow employees were not sympathetic (we had been friends for several years)
when they had to continue with the long hours, and I got "special
priviledges" to leave on time every day.  After pushing this I got my first
bad review, ever, ever, ever.  Other people don't think you have a serious
condition unless they can SEE it.