Re: [IP] Re: Selling medical equipment (was ...another Ebayproblem)

In a message dated 10/30/99 10:53:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< If I didn't have the insurance I have, and my daughter was prescribed a
 that I couldn't afford I would definitely look into buying one privately.
 majority of us know how life has changed since being on the pump/seeing our
 loved ones on a pump. Would you just give it up because the insurance
 wouldn't cover it? Would you  be willing to search for the piece of
 that would  provide a better quality of life for yourself? for your loved
 one? for your child?
 Ultimately, it would be wonderful if everyone that wanted a pump would not
 denied ... no matter what. But that's an almost perfect world. (I would've
 said perfect world, but that's saved for when they have cures for both of
 these two horrible diseases I've been speaking about here, as well as the
 others that have affected so many of our lives)
 Happy pumping to EVERYONE ... even those with no insurance.
 Saundra >>

        I have to agree with you 100%!  I have been reading this thread and
sitting on my fingers, but I have to jump in now....

        I have 3 diabetic children.  Only one is on a pump....WHY?  My
insurance WILL NOT pay for pumps......We had to fight and appeal numerous
times for Steven to get his pump and it was only approved because he also has
severe asthma and takes TONS of meds for that too on a daily basis.  His
A1c's were going UP UP UP and we couldn't get a handle on it.....The doctor
had to threaten them with putting him in Ped ICU at $1500/day JUST to get
them to START listening to us!  This is a Union Contract, so normal State
coverage and insurance laws don't apply to us  :-(    I would LOVE for all my
boys to have the pump, and if I had $2000 right now I would buy it no
questions asked and no feelings of "illegality".....This has to be at LEAST
the 4th insulin pump I've seen on eBay and every one has been a temptation
for me to help my boys.  I have been very sick lately myself and fighting
another one of those insurance battles is not something I'm able to do right
now, and unfortunately, neither is spending $2000, but if I could, I would in
a heartbeat!

        I guess that makes my next job, to try to figure out if going the
Disetronic route and getting 2 pumps for the price of 1 would be an option
for us perhaps in the near future if we can save up for that......Until then,
eBay looks better every day!