Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

In a message dated 10/28/99 12:01:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< trust me that will NEVER happen again, I now have a
 backbone) >>
    Probably the single most important thing I've learned from parenting a
child with diabetes is to be ASSERTIVE & PROACTIVE on my child's
behalf....When Melissa was 13 & newly pumping, we left our local Children's
Hospital because it was apparent her ped endo was unfamiliar with insulin
pump therapy & its intricacies. I got the name of a credible physician whose
hospital had no pediatric facilities - hence, they wouldn't take patients
under 16. I refused to take NO for an answer, assuring his nurse that Melissa
was NOT a typical 13 yr old & that if (G-d forbid) she needed
hospitalization, her own pediatrician could do so....
    Now 3 years later, she IS 16 (almost 17) and her endo has just left his
practice to go work for a drug company!!! But at least for the intervening 3
years, which included her kidney biopsy & proteinuria & ACE inhibitors, we
felt she was in good hands. The hospotal we'd left had vacillated about
"maybe" starting an ACE inhibitor 4 years ago when she had 300 mgs of protein
in her urine. Nowadays, they routinely start teens on ACE inhibitors once
they pass 30 mgs (30-300 is microalbuminuria/ over 300 is proteinuria). Had
we NOT changed hospitals, I shudder to think about the "time bomb" that would
have been ticking away in her kidneys.........

Regards, Renee (pump-mom)