Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

    Thank you for taking the time to give your valuable input into the
advisory committee.  You are speaking for so many.  We all should do what we

    It is a fine balance that others have to walk when dealing with the highs
and lows of diabetes and sometimes only those who know us very well can read
the "signs" that we have when in either situation.  I know that mine have
changed over the years.  Still, I think over all that much more training
regarding the care of diabetics could be done in the medical profession.
Most nurses that have treated me properly over the years have been those with
an aunt, mother, dad or other relative with insulin dependent diabetes, thus
they have had a familiarity with it. They don't seem "scared" by it.

    My last hospital stay had me in tears at each meal as the nurses held off
on my meals because they didn't know what to do about the pump and they
hadn't received the diabetic meal with the others. The dietitian hadn't sent
orders, so they just figured I could go without eating!   I would wait to
bolus until it arrived and they would come mid meal to test my bgs. after I
already had.  If I had the tiniest deviation of a low they would bring a 16
0z. styrofoam cup of o.j. and keep coming back to order me to finish it.  A
crash course in carb counting would be helpful!

    It took until check out day (of a 4 day stay) to recieve a nutritional
likes/dislikes questionaire.  I received more carbs in the diabetic meal than
I needed, mostly gelled, gross "sugar free" stuff attempting to look pretty
with a dollop of fake cream. Fresh whole fruits and veggies would be nice and

    The staff seemed "hands off-ish" in their approach to me.  In fact, I was
ignored.  I truly did not mind the interns coming in to see my pump and
showing them how it operated.  The entire time I was in I felt like no one
knew what was going on with my blood sugars.  I was out of town and the
hospital didn't ever send an endocrinologist, only a family practice
physician.  A diabetic in a hospital wants to be able to manage their care,
as they must do on a daily basis, yet it is reassuring to know that there is
a person with a great level of expertise and knowledge about the disease that
you can count on.  It is also most reassuring to know that insulin pump
supplies are available.  I got an, "Oh, @#$!%!  I hope she has her own
supplies,because I don't know if we do!" from the other side of the curtain
in the emergency room.