[IP] diabetes advisory

i acknowledge the problems/concerns you all have expressed dregarding the
extent of diabetes education given in a hospital setting.. the differences
reflect the individual practitioner's (RN RD MD) db management skills and the
hospital's policy on what to teach, when, and how.

The key point is meeting the client's needs.. and each client is different
... some are easily overwhelmed.. some are parched for information.. some are
getting information (conflicting at that) from everyone (visitors, nurses,
dietitians, social workers, pastor, etc) ..

Many clients don't know what they don't know and cannot ask "good

Perhaps, a menu of  available information can be printed up.. perhaps divided
into must know before going home .. should know in time..

This allows the client and significant others to know that there is a lot to
know to be able to manage diabetes .. and that not everything has to be done
in the next 24 hours or so...  the same menu can also be used to help the
diabetes health care provider keep track of  what has been taught/when/etc...

This system seems to work for me in our clinic setting.. i work with lower
income and older (above 50 yrs)  clients...  gives the client some degree of
control ..   used to work with pediatrics.. and parents had the same
frustrations.. too much, too little, not the right kind, etc.  type of info
given to them...

hope this helps.. i am reading everyone's response in hopes that we can make
our diabetes management services more responsive to client needs.

this website is a treasure chest for diabetes educators who don't have
diabetes info from a personal point of view.  i've learned a lot and plan to
continue learning a lot more.