Re: [IP] Fried Chicken

At 07:02 AM 10/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Quick question about fried chicken. (Snip)I have given
>up so much rice, pasta and french fries now fried chicken.  What is my
>world coming to.

Richard D. Spector

My experience with fried chicken has been pretty even.  By that I mean that
the protein and the carbs are extracted slowly and there is no sudden rise
in BG (provided I bolus adequately).  I have found that going to bed with a
stomach full of food does cause high BGs that seem out of proportion to the
food.  I have no solution for you but I have a couple of suggestions.

Consider the possibility of a bubble in the infusion tubing or a crimp in
the tubing (from sleeping on it).  Consider the infusion site leaking
because it has not been changed recently.  Any of these can happen to me
and any of them will be a cause.

My take on Fried Chicken (being a low carb eater right now) is that it is
protein (slow digestion) and greasy flour (pretty sloe digestion).  That
may have delayed the digestion to the point where it hit you after you went
to bed.  I have noticed that the high protein meals will metabolize so
slowly that the insulin is gone while the gut is still working.  Might even
cause a low and then a resulting high later.

My thoughts, for what they are worth.
Bob Blakely