Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

email @ redacted wrote:
> Your panic regarding a high blood sugar is comparable to my
> panic when Melissa had a "LOW" of 78....I mean, after all, they'd told me I
> was supposed to keep her between 80-180, so 78 HAD to mean she was in
> danger, right???.... Maybe what we need to do is compile a TOP TEN list of
> things all patients with diabetes should know before leaving the
> hospital.....A lot of the "biology 101" explanations for WHY/HOW the
> pancreas stopped functioning can be probed later, but knowing CONCRETELY
> how to react to a high, a low, parameters for both, etc. would have been
> helpful....

I hear you, sister!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't given any diabetic education AT ALL in the beginning -- just
told that my BGs were high and I should test and follow the diet they
gave me.

I didn't have a clue what I was supposed to think about the numbers the
meter was generating, and the diet was torture by starvation.

And when I asked questions about what it all meant, I simply was brushed
off, being told that it was nothing to worry about.

I would have liked some guidelines as to what would be acceptable BG
numbers, what would be mildly elevated numbers and what would be
seriously elevated numbers and what to do about it.

I would have liked someone to explain treatment options to me, and let
me know what the expected time frame for improvement on a given
treatment would be.

I would have liked someone to explain to me how to determine that a
treatment isn't working, and that being the case, what the next step
would be.

I spent a lot of time in extreme anxiety because I didn't know what was
happening, and nothing worked for very long, and I was afraid my
diabetes would end up untreatable, and I would be dead in a few years.

It was really a hairy, scary time!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted