Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

I understand where you are coming from but maybe you can take a minute to
understand where I am coming from. When my mom was told she had diabetes
for many years which had gone untreated..the doctor gave her a script for
oral meds (she needed insulin) and told her to come in once a week to have
her BGs tested. because of his lack of education (which my mom needed and
was searching for because she was afriad of the complcations) we almost
lost her 2 yrs ago. Now she is blind in one eye and going blind in the
other and it cannot be fixed. she also had open heart surgery because of
her diabetes and her vessels were like corkscrews. They could not fix the
heart right and she is on borrowed time. This was because she was not given
the education she needed. NOW watching her to try to draw up her
insulin..is difficult knowing soon she won't even be able to do that. Also
as a result of her surgery she has brain damage and cannot even remember
what happened 2 hours ago.  WE and SHE was/were ready to know everything we
needed to know..but all she got was a script for oral meds..even though her
kidney doc said she should have been on insulin  and a brush off of being
told to come on once a week to do BG testing and she never had a A1C til my
sister and I had a talk with her doctor. Why didn;t she go to an endo? She
DID! There isn't much selection of good doctors where they live.
So that is my side of the coin..thanks for listening. Thankfully we work as
a team in my family or my sweet precious mom would have died...and we
treasure each day we have her..but in the beginning it WAS the
responsibility of her medical doctor to Educate her ..she was in bad shape
and she was not overwhelmed..she just wanted to know what to do.
I have been diagnosed with several illnesses and never was in 'shock" I
wanted to know what could be done as soon as possible..and so far I am
still here :)
medical care isn't good everywhere..and 2-4 hours would have been
wonderful..but my mom got 15 minutes..