Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

Disagree with that.  Trying to explain too much just after the patient has
been going through the shock of just getting diagnosed is pointless.  The
best way (IMO) would be to give them a good 2-4 hours of information and
schedule plenty of follow-ups.

My wife did have one dream patient though that didn't need much
teaching.  The patient was in the DPT and the antibodies had already been
found.  Years before the patient was actually diagnosed with diabetes that
they had already been checking their sugars, checking for ketones and
getting educated.  When they noticed that BG levels were approaching the
300 mark, they made the jump to insulin.  Never more than moderate ketones,
no DKA, easy transition.

At 12:14 Fisher 10/27/99 -0400, you wrote:

>The one thing I believe a hospital should do (doctors and nurses) with a
>newly diagnosed person is to take time to explain everything about diabetes
>to a newly diagnosed person. <snips>

Jeff Fisher