Re: [IP] Diabetes Advisory committee

I think one of the most important things that hospital staff members can do
for a diabetic patient is realize that if the patient has dealt with the
disease for some time, he will most likely be far more familiar with the
particulars of his own treatment than they will!  I know that many hospitals
are not crazy about "self-treating" patients- but diabetes is a condition in
which YMMV in so many ways, "textbook treatment" is NOT the answer for the
patient who is able to care for hmself in this area.  Ginny is right on
target with her mention of insulin/mealtimes being mismanaged, & of lows
being left untreated for hours.  A few months ago a thread titled (I think)
"hospitals" ran for about a week...you might want to go to the webpage &
look those up, print out some of the letters, & take them with you to the
next meeting, to use as VERY good examples of how NOT to work with a
diabetic patient!

I do understand that, in most cases, staffers are afraid to or prohibitted
from administering ANYTHING that seems to deviate from the doctor's specific
orders, & their hesitancy may stem from concerns about liability.  Since
diabetes is a disease whose successful management depends heavily upon
patient education & self-treatment, it might be good to have a standard form
prepared, to be signed by the patient & his primary care position, that
specifies that the patient, provided he is capable of such (coherant,
conscious, etc.), will see to his own needs as far as insulin & treatment of
high/low blood sugar are concerned, with the hospital & its employees held
harmless should harm come of that arrangement.  This might help to alleviate
the kind of "control wars" I've heard about & experienced in various
hospital facilities.  (Reference the "hospitals" thread! :)  )  I do know
that hospital employees are bound by the policies of their facility (I work
in the public school system, suffering the same occupational hazzard), but
there has to be room for common sense in there, spelled out as specifically
as possible, & for the patient's sake, if self-management is possible it
should be maintained & supported!  My last hospital stay was
wonderful...they let me do my own testing (they recorded my numbers at the
times of day when they needed them), had no problem with me being
"self-medicating", & when I let them know I was low, I was asked "What
usually works best for you in this situation?"  They really seemed to
understand that I was accustomed to handling the "diabetic adventure", &
their support made the stay more stress-free than any other hospital
experience I've ever had!  (& we all know what yucky things added stress on
top of illness can do to your blood sugars!)

I think it is wonderful that they have formed an Advisory Committee...that
shows that they are moving in the right direction as far as "caring for the
person, not just the disease"- they are to be commended for this!