[IP] RE: Make thwe call

Your calls and faxes are working!  Last week the White House called ADA and
asked "why is Chris Jennings getting so many calls and faxes about
diabetes?"  Duh!  Thanks to your persistence, we finally met with key WH
staffers about the diabetes funding situation.

According to Mike Mawby, ADA's Vice President for Advocacy, the meeting was
productive.  "I think they understand where we're coming from," he says.
"But they also said that if we want President Clinton to fight for diabetes,
we have to flood the WH Comment Line with calls.

Telephone calls are exactly what we've been doing.  Last week, more than
1,200 ADA members agreed to call their Representative or Senator with the
following message: Provide a $200 million increase for diabetes research
this year, the same amount as AIDS.

Here's the key members of Congress who got the calls, as well as how many
each received:

Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) - 364 calls
Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) - 143 calls
Rep. John Porter (R-IL) - 279 calls
Rep. Bill Young (R-FL) - 122 calls
Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) - 136 calls
Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) - 169 calls

We're continuing to ask ADA members in these key areas to call.  But we need
your help too.  And we need it now!

That's because The Washington Post reported today that a budget deal may be
agreed to as early as next week.  (You can read the story at

We need action right away!  Please call the White House Comment Line today
at (202) 456-1414 and deliver the following message: Provide diabetes
research with a $200 million increase this year, the same as AIDS.

After calling, please ask your friends, family members, coworkers and
neighbors to call as well.  The more calls they get, the better our chances
of success.

Thank you for your continuing support of diabetes advocacy and the American
Diabetes Association.  I'll be back in touch with an update soon.

If you would like to contact me, please send a message to
email @ redacted

Leading the fight to cure diabetes.......

Joseph LaMountain
National Director of Advocacy
American Diabetes Association
1701 N. Beauregard Street