Re: [IP] questions about certain foods and insulin amounts

Gianna, I often have similar things happen with high carb loads all at
once.  It is especially bad when I go to a seminar where they have donuts,
bagels, etc prior to the lecture.   Anything I eat tends to make my BG
shoot up--normal carb/ins ratio of 15 drops to 5 or lower (which
interestingly is what you also need to do for your pom frittes).  I wish I
knew why.  I thought maybe it was just the fact of eating and then not
moving for an hour, but even with normal levels of activity, I'm not
burning that much carb so fast.  The textbooks and my endo blame it on "the
delay's caused by the fat", but everyone uses that excuse when they don't
know what they are talking about.  I don't think the fat has much to do
with it at all.  The problem is that the carbs go in TOO QUICKLY and stay
high as you have noticed.   I hope someone can figure out what is going on
with this very common experience among pumpers, but since I don't think
there is any basic research being carried out on this, it is up to us to do
our own expeirmentation.   One thing that often helps me in these
situations is anticipation.  If I bolus a 1/2 h before, then my body seems
better ready to meet the upcoming carb-couch potato challenge.  Or maybe
you should call it a couch fries challenge :-)

<<<<<<<<Hi everyone: I am looking for success stories on bolusing for
french fries
and/or doughnuts.  I seem to have the pizza pretty much figured out, but
every time I try to eat french fries or donuts I go really high and stay
there.  It doesn't seem to matter what I try -- I am thinking my body
doesn't do well with the combination of high fat AND high carbs at the same
time, but there must be SOME way to enjoy the occasional plate of curly
fries!!!  Grrrrr  . . . . any suggestions?
Today I had about 3/4 of a doughnut, bolused enough for the ENTIRE doughnut,
plus a square wave of another whole unit over 2 hours, and still went high
and stayed there.  By the time I came back down I'd taken enough insulin for
about three doughnuts, according to the carb counts.  This is frustrating .