Re: [IP] putting air in syringe for extra insulin

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Ruth Schneider wrote:

> could someone please run this by me again...I forgot ..and I could have used
> this trick when geneva ran out of insulin at 2 am and I would not have had
> to run downstairs to kitchen and do the replacement act!

This needs to be done with great care. I would suggest that if you have
the insulin handy that you use it. But... to answer your question.

Clamp and remove the tube from the QR.
Disconnect the tube from the syringe at the leur lock. Remove the syringe
from the pump and draw some air back into it. Reconnect the syringe to
the leur lock being careful not to move the plunger. Place the syringe
back in the pump and put the arms back in place. Remove the clamp from
the tube, prime the pump enough to get some insulin to come out of the
end of the QR. Reconnect the QR. There are some variations on this
procedure, but basically you want to avoid any situation that would allow
an accidental bolus to the patient. This can be caused by gravity alone
if the leur lock is disconnected from the syringe. It is necessary for
the patient to be disconnected while anything is done, clamping is not
enough as the clamps sometime leak. The clamping can be accomplished with
the funny little plastic clip, a pair of forceps, a silastic pad into
which the QR needle is pushed, etc....