Re:[IP] Letting go ? for parents......

<<like I said please do not take offense just I am concerned that if children
with diabetes gets everything done for them  how will they stand on their own
two feet ...
Common you old time diabetics anyone agree with me ? >>

Julie -- I'm not an "old time diabetic", just the parent of a daughter (13)
with diabetes, and I agree wholeheartedly with you -- we must learn to let go
and let our kids make their own mistakes, within reason, or they won't learn.
As the parent of 3 teens now, I admit it is harder letting Amy go, and I do
find my tongue getting bloody from all the biting I do at times. But I know I
have to, for Amy's sake (and my sanity!!)

It gets so hard at times, but I do think I'm doing the right thing. Afterall,
Amy has been pumping now only 1 1/2 years, and she can be 100% responsible
for all her care almost since day 1. I say "can be", because we still ask
that she allow us to help at times. Afterall, she will have to do this the
rest of her life, or at least until a cure is found. The only area that we
ask her to let one of us (her dad or I) be there for is site changes. She
does them herself, but we watch the technique -- just to be sure. Not all the
time, but about 75% of the time I'd guess.

And as a result, Amy has blossomed into a responsible young lady who makes
mistakes and learns from them. She is very active in sports, school and
church activities, has a gaggle of friends who seem to think each weekend
must be spent at a different house, goes to d camp and church camp and
weekend retreats (though this summer WAS hard, letting her go to a reg. camp
for the 1st time!!) She has let her pump go bone dry and learned that it
isn't worth it, had low battery alarms 4 hours away from home with no extra
batteries and solved that problem, has had pump alarms away from home and
solved them also. But, thank goodness for a cell phone, just in case!

All this, and I still have a wonderful daughter, who on a whim, will hug me,
kiss me, or crawl up in my lap for a cuddle. Is she growing up too fast? In
some ways, yes, but in the most important way, in her heart, no -- she will
always be my little girl.

I say let them grow up -- but keep the heart young!

Mom of Amy, 13