Re: [IP] funny definitions of food....

On 22 Oct 99 at 21:15, email @ redacted wrote:

> Turns out she knew I was
> hypo, but insisted she could only take tickets. I told her that when it came
> to a medical emergency or tickets, to choose the medical emergency -- I would
> have brought her the #$&*(# tickets later. But she still didn't budge. Does
> anybody have any common sense any more?

It's becoming a rare commodity, along with a sense of humor, compassion,
intelligence, honor and respect.  It seems that many people are so afraid of
"breaking the rules" that they throw away all the long-standing rules of human
interaction among civilized people...  Then they take refuge in claimed
ignorance...  It's part of a trend in our society where people are focused on
"me first" instead of being aware of being part of a community.  That's why the
IP list is such a treasure, to be protected, appreciated and nurtured.  At
least here, most of the time, we have people of good will, good intentions who
have some respect for each other and attempt to use their compassion,
intelligence to help each other.

As for a sense of humor, I don't mean the coarse sex/toilet stuff that is
called humor in the media.  I mean that real belly laugh stuff that comes when
we realize some of the incongruities of life and our place as part of them...
mixed in with that sense of wonder that we see in the face of a child watching
a spider weave a web, a bird building a nest or a squirrel eating a hickory
nut...  that enchanted bubble of joy that glitters in the air for a moment at
the wonder of the world and seeing it again for the first time...

Uh oh...  I feel a sermon coming on there... I'd better stop now before I kick
into "full sermon mode" and start quoting from Psalms or something...

Randall P. Winchester
* misunderstood something.