Re: [IP] Letting go ? for parents and diabetics

In a message dated 10/23/99 2:28:59 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< < considering I'd eaten a huge bowl
  of pibimpap (lots of rice). >>
 Is that a Korean dish?  I've been meaning to try it.  If I take Stephen to
 the restaurant, I didn't know how to bolus for food I'm not familiar with.
 Do you just bolus for the rice? (PS how spicy is it?)
 Deb >>

Yes, that's a Korean dish. I just bolus for the rice. The rest of what's in
it is generally very low-carb. As for the spiciness, there is sometimes some
"heat" in the flavorings used in the add-ins, but most comes from a dollop of
pepper paste. If you don't care for spicy, just ask them to bring the pepper
paste on the side or to go very easy on it. (I ask for extra!) Also, you need
to be aware that pepper paste is made with rice flour and a good amount of
sugar, but a little goes a long way. Also, pibimpap is traditionally served
with a raw egg on top (it cooks as you mix it into the hot rice). However, to
keep the dish very low-fat, I ask that the egg be left off. Nothing better
than pibimpap in a nice, sizzling hot cast-iron bowl. :-)