Re: [IP] Dr. Tamborlane

   Dr. Tamborlane is one of the pro-pump "gurus"! When parents couldn't get
Joslin in Boston to budge from their no pumps for younger teens approach, Dr.
Tamborlane at Yale-New Haven was more than willing to institute pump therapy
for them. Minimed's excellent "Teens Pumping it Up" spiral book was compiled
by Elizabeth Boland, pediatric nurse practitioner at Yale-New Haven & Dr.
Tamborlane wrote the preface from which I'm quoting the following excerpt:
    " One of the most gratifying changes for me has been the r-birth
ofinterest in the use of the insulin pump by teenagers. As a pediatrician who
helped develop pump treatment in the late 70s & early 80s, it was very
disappointing that so few young people with diabetes were willing to try pump
treatment. Many adults benefitted form pump therapy, but not teenagers. Back
then, it was easier to take one or two shots a day. check blood sugar levels
infrequently & not care about the future. Most of the time, it was the parent
and not the teen who inquired about using a pump.  Now, as out teens are
dedicating themselves to getting improved diabetes control, many are
realizing that pump treatment has great advantages.  Extra insulin can be
given with every meal and snack without having to take a separate shot, and
overnight control can be easier & safer by varyiong the basal rate of
insulin.  The latets models of the MM pump & infusion sets have new features
that make the pump easier to use. Over the past 2 years, we've had more
teenagers try a pump for the first time than ever before & the results have
been spectacular."
   If you already own this book, check out p. 41 under "What do parents
think?"...we're quoted twice - about the body shpaer for wearing under skimpy
dresses & also about working with a CDE!! My "15 seconds of fame"!!

Regards, Renee (pump mom for 3 1/2 years)