[IP] nighttime basals

last night I did something different with geneva's night time basals.

usually we either do a temp basal when she hits the pillow, or I will
arbitrarily take a number out of the hat to go with for this rough period
between 8 and 1 am.  within reason...

in either case, I will test at midnight and correct or at 2 am and
correct...and then hope that it wasn't too much.  since her numbers have
consistently been in the mid to high 200's,  I keep her target on the high
side..around 140-150.  depending on the 'temp basal' that we have
set...sometimes she wakes up fine...

so, last night,  she tested at 8 pm because she felt low.  it appears that
she always feels low around this time. (carb ratio?  we eat around 6 pm)
she panics,  treats, and then I am chasing highs at 9 and 10.

she was 85.  gave her one lifesaver, to bring her up 20 points.  in half an
hour...she was up to 155!  we left it alone.

8 pm    85   treat with 4 carbs
8:30 pm    155
12 midnight   270   do NOTHING
wake up    125!

she was on a 0.5 basal from mid afternoon up until 9 pm  .
9 pm until 1 am   1.0 basal
1 am until 4 am    0.3
4 am until wakeup   0.5

so...I am wondering if all this time I have been fudging around with these
high numbers when in essence I should just ignore them?  is it food related
highs that are hitting her at bedtime?  or is it really this sleep
phenomenon that lily  (michael's daughter) experiences?  I guess I can
answer this myself.  it all boils down to doing a fasting basal test at
night.   was going to try this weekend.  will see how geneva feels.  thanks
for the sugar free jello ideas, folks.

I know that we have seen something occur as soon as she falls asleep.  the
numbers just instantaneously jump about 100 points. as you can see above,
she went from 155 - 270 in three hours.  unless this was caused by a bean
and cheese burrito.

just thinking out loud here...

mom to 10 1/2 yr. old geneva, pumping since june.