Re: [IP] more on flu shots

In a message dated 10/20/99 11:23:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Just wondering...how many of you get bad reactions to the flu shot?  I
 been getting them for the past few years, and so far, they have worked, but
 when I get the shot I have a horrible skin reaction.  My arm gets bright
 hot, and solid (for lack of a better word!), it's almost like I have a
 bruise, but really I don't.  I was told by a doctor I know that most people
 do NOT have a reaction to the flu shot, so I wonder if it has anything to do
 with the diabetes.  I don't think it does, but hey, you never know!  It
 doesn't hurt, it is just hot.  I just wonder how many other people get bad
 reactions to the shot.  Kelly >>

Hi Kelly,
        Well, I had the same type of reaction, if it makes you feel any
better.  I had an area about 4 inches across that was hot, red and hard like
a ball under there for about a week after.  Each day it got a little smaller.
 My doctor said that localized reactions like this are common, though.....He
said he had the same reaction himself and showed me.  Truly severe systemic
reactions though are rare he said and only if the person is allergic to eggs.
 The reason this came up is because I had a severe asthma attack within 24
hours of receiving my shot and I was concerned if it was related to having
gotten the vaccine.  It was ruled out as a cause, but I still have my
suspicions!  Take care.....oh and by the way......maybe it's a "Kelly" thing
cause that's my name too!  LOL!