Re: [IP] Re: virus causing diabetes

> I agree Doreen
> My diabetes they say was caused by strep throat at age 12. They
> conclude that the virus triggered the diabetes that was more than
> likely already present in my genes.

Diabetes or beta-cell death has already been going on for some time.
The illness causes an increase in insulin requirements which in turn
causes a crisis because the pancreas can not produce additional
insulin. The result is symptoms of DKA which result in a trip to the
doc and a diagnosis of the diabetes. The diabetes process involves
the killing off of the beta cells by the immune system. This takes a
while and finally the pancreas is working a max production to supply
the insulin the body needs. This works OK for a while as the peaks in
bg caused by meals are overcome by steady insulin production that
finally brings bg's back down. When a crisis occurs, such as illness
etc... the additional insulin demands can not be met and bg's rise
permanently. The particular illness does not trigger the immune
system to do the "deed' that has been happening for a long time (that
is why the current antibody studies are going on). The illness is
just the straw the breaks the camels back in terms of current insulin