Re: [IP] insertion pain?

email @ redacted wrote:
>  Question: how much more does inserting an infusion set hurt as compared
>  with standard injections? I've seen several posts on folks (parents
>  especially) using EMLA to numb the site first, but I am assuming that
>  you generally didn't do this before with just injections? So this leads
>  me to believe there must be a great deal more pain? I am guessing also
>  that certain types of sets might be worse than others: the rapids and
>  sof-sets (and micros) seem to me more like how a regular injection would
>  go in than a sil, and the needle doesn't look THAT much bigger than a
>  syringe (course, I am not the one with the experience getting poked
>  every day either)...

It really depends on WHERE the needle lands. Some spots hurt a LOT and
some are absolutely painless. I think it's because there ARE nerves just
below the skin, and those nerves seem to parallel the blood vessels --
most of the times I've gotten bleeders or bruises have been when I've
shot into a painful place.

When I was on shots, I developed the technique of just pressing the
needle on the surface of my skin first -- if it hurt, I'd move a few
centimeters to one that didn't hurt before actually doing the injection.

With the infusion sets, it's a little harder to do, because I need to
lay down a protective layer first; and then I need to stay pretty much
in the center of it. But I can still move a LITTLE bit.

One of the things I like about the pump is that I don't have to stick
needles in myself so OFTEN -- it DOES mean less pain!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted