[IP] Viruses and diabetes

At 08:01 PM 10/19/1999  Julie wrote:
>A Virus killed my beta cells to cause my diabetes also .. I am the only one
>in my family .. I am wondering does this mean that I can pass it down to my
>children or theirs do I have that gene?? because I got it though a virus ??

I could be totally off base here, but from what I understand the virus may
not have actually caused diabetes, but the increased stress level from the
virus may have just been the last straw that brought out the outward
symptoms. Apparently the beta cells take a number of years, to silently
self-destruct. Severe stress can be the final trigger that brings it out of
the closet.

Does anyone have any authoritative medical information on this?