[IP] consensus on lows

<<We've got a group of about 1700 diabetics here-what's the consensus on the
following: have you ever had a low bad enough that you either passed out or
were to the point where you needed someone else's help?>>

I have been that low several times in my 30+ years with diabetes--the first
few times were when I was in junior high, back in the "good old days" of
multiple daily urine testing without adjustments and early visits to the
elderly g.p. who would tell me how much insulin I would need every day for
the next year and tell me how many calories I would be eating at each meal
for that same amount of time.  (I'm really not sure those lows should

However--as an adult, I had one very serious low--I was at a school staff
meeting with a long-winded principal, and by the time I NEEDED something to
eat, my thought processes were so confused by the low that I convinced
myself it would be BAD MANNERS to interrupt the meeting.  Sigh....
resulting in a trip to our local emergency room.  I was pregnant at the
time, incidentally-- my daughter is 18 years old now and a freshman in
college, so the experience was scary but not tragic.

My 17-year old son has also had occasional lows that have led loss of
consciousness (and even convulsions).  He was diagnosed at two, and it took
his dad and me some time to figure out what signs to look for--his behavior
when he was low sometimes mimicked typical two-to three-year old
independent behaviors (aka temper tantrums).  Josh hasn't been in the ER or
ambulance or treated by EMTs for the past 10 years or so, and no longer has
temper tantrums, either.  (Aha!  A coincidence?  I think not....)

Both of us can get into the 40s pretty quickly, and still be walking around
and self-treat with minimal help from others.  We do MUCH, MUCH, MUCH
better now that we are both on pumps.

Just .04 from our experience--

:)  Doreen in Wyoming