[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #576

Julie wrote:
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] ritalin and diabetes.

A Virus killed my beta cells to cause my diabetes also .. I am the only one
in my family .. I am wondering does this mean that I can pass it down to my
children or theirs do I have that gene?? because I got it though a virus ??
The same thing happened to me, a virus killed my insulin producing ability.
 There had been no known diabetes in my family on either side ever!!  It
was a shock to the family and they looked at me like "where did you come
from?" .  Then 11 years later several doctors at the Kirklin clinic in
Birmingham, AL (UAB) explained to me that  even though there was no known
in either side of the family, there has to have been a predisposition for
it.  Like a kink in your DNA.    After a couple of years, my Dad said he
thought my grandmother may have had it.  But, back in those days, they
didn't have ways of diagnosing it (My dad  is  87, I am 58).     Since my
former mother in law had Type II, all my children and grandchildren know to
get tested regularly.