Re: [IP] Re: Silhouettes Complaint--Natalie

Sam, I couldn't imagine you ever being difficult.  Even with a boiled (but
sterile) stomach.
If bacteria can divide ( i.e., double in numbers) in half an hour, then a
single bacterium becomes 1000 in 5 h and a million in 10 h.  If you started
with 1000, then the infection might be 5 hours ahead,  but things get up
steam pretty quickly no matter.  I don't know all the qualities of all the
"antibacterial" soaps, and I suspect some are indeed better than others in
cleaning the skin.  Though its usually recommended, I think there's little
evidence that scrubbing the injection sites does much to lessen site
infections among pumpers.  Your skin secretes little proteins in a class
called defensins that are quite effective in killing bacteria.  If you
scrub too hard you take these away too.  The right conditions?  Same as for
us humnas--moisture, warmth, food, and no enemies.  The latter is I think a
key element.  Infections in the body (not just around catheter sites)
commonly occur when the circulation is poor.  Poor circulation means few
white blood cells and poor clearance.  I suspect that when infections do
develop at a catheter site, it is because the circulation has become
compromised, perhaps because of edema, insulin "tunneling", or just local
capillary damage from the insertion.  I will guarantee that if you stick a
catheter in the most well scrubbed skin you have, and then somehow totally
obstruct the blood supply to that area, you would get a terrible infection
in a very short time.   What can you do to keep the bugs unhappy?  I don't
know about that, but the really important thing is just to watch your sites
and change quickly if ever they start to redden significantly.  I've had a
few that I've left in too long, but fortunately none have gotten really

<<<<<<<<	So, if you boil your stomach for about 10-15 minutes it
would be
sterilized, although a little on the painful, leathery and useless side. :-)
	Seriously, though... if you reduce the number of bacteria, even if not
100%, wouldn't this reduce the odds of an infection? It seems like it would
take longer for 1 bacterium to reproduce in sufficient quantities than
1,000. Or, after 2-3 days of using a set, it doesn't make that much
difference. Also, what constitutes the right conditions? Is there anything
we can do to make sure that these little guys are thoroughly unhappy? Does
antibacterial soap help?
	I hope that you don't think that I'm being difficult, I just
honestly want
to understand this stuff. It's hard to make good decisions without the
proper background.