Re: [IP] just a few thoughts

-From: Fran Kates <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Just a few thoughts

>Along with the excitement, high hopes and anxieties
>that we have associated with this exciting time, as a
>mother, I look at this new beginning with
>other, more soul-wrenching feelings. My son is
>only seven ...Intrying to understand
>these grieving feelings I am experiencing

Fran, one of the best things about this sight as far
as I'm concerned is that every time I read it, I find
at least one thing that I can relate to, usually a
situation in which I thought "I'm the only one". My
son is 12, dx at 5yr, pumping since March.  Just last
week, I cried for an hour, grieving for the boy he
can't be. Not that he can't do every activity he wants
to do; football, basketball, fishing etc...  it's just
a fact that he can't just go do those things without
concern;
DM means being ever vigilant, and it is tiring at
times. Having the pump gives tremendous freedom in
lifestyle, but it does not remove the DM monster we
all live with.  I think as parents, we need to give
ourselves permission to be sad sometimes, grieving is
a process that comes and goes. I know Ryan feels sad,
mad, etc. at times.  We say it "I hate diabetes", then
go on.  I allow myself an occasional "personal pity
party", with some restrictions. I don't invite lots of
other people; it has an ending (no one likes a party
that never ends); and I follow it up with some
gratitude stuff.  So anyway, I'm just glad to know,
I'm not the only one.... Hope all goes well....

=====