Re: [IP] complexity in a nutshell

I am a diabetic of 32 years whose mother did not allow me to go to camp,
sleepovers, etc., because of my diabetes.  She died this summer and before
she died  I told her that although I did not agree with a lot of the
decisions that she had made for me when I was a kid, it took me until I was a
parent myself to come to terms with these decisions.

I never told my mother how I felt "odd" and very depressed.  I spent a lot of
time reading in my room and no one knew how upset I always was.  Please try
to see if one of the leaders is a nurse or has someone who is close to her
that is dealing with diabetes, carb counting, etc.  You might be surprised to
find out one of the leaders can handle this in a very supportive way.  At
ten, much of what needs to be done could be done by your daughter.  She would
only need someone to give her gentle reminders and direction.  Worst that
would happen would be you might get a call for advise.

My heart goes out to you over the next few years, how do you transfer the
responsibility of your daughters diabetes to her?  I suppose, in small steps,
not much different from teaching them to be responsible for their homework or
how to brush their teeth.

Good luck.  I pray that all goes well for you and your daughter.  In the dark
ages, when I was diagnosed, I did not go to a hospital for any education or
adjustment period.  Was given insulin, urine strips, syringes, and a
diet....Period...  I was also told that I if I ever tried to have children,
they or I would die.  My first son was borne in April of 1990 and the second
was borne in January of 1993.  I celebrated my 40th birthday this June.  We
have come so far in the last 20 years.  I bet if given the chance, you
daughter would use today's technology to her advantage and have a great and
healthy time.