[IP] pumping at school

My 7 yr old son, Mike was just approved for his MiniMed pump on Friday!  Since we began this process I have been trying to determine the best method for pumping at school.  I have worked with his teacher (who is wonderful - she even walked in the diabetes walk in Mike's honor collecting pledges).  I have talked with his principal.  I have worked with the cooks at school to determine the carb value of items served for school lunch.  So far they have done everything we have asked.  I want Mike to continue eating school lunches if possible.  If we have a predetermined carb listing of each menu, I need someone to check the chart and to check Mike's tray to make sure he has eaten everything.  I guess I need someone to check  his intake even if he is bringing lunch from home before he gives the bolus.  I also want someone to check the bolus to make sure he has programmed the proper number.  Our school does not have a school nurse.  Is this a procedure that others follow?  When do you trust your child to calculate carbs and bolus on their own?  Who do you trust to make sure your child is getting the proper insulin dose?  This is my only major area of concern (HA, HA give me another week and I'm sure I'll have a dozen more!)

I would appreciate any information you parents or students can provide on good procedures at school.  With the new MimiMed remote control, I was really hoping I could just use the remote to bolus from across town!

Sue Cahill, mom of SIXSONS
mom of Mike, 7 yr, dx 1-97 and Jim, 15, Tim, 13, Tom, 12, Pat 10, and Joe 3 (erratic BG readings since May, 99)