Re: [IP] Sudden BG Drops

In a message dated 10/16/99 12:48:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  I think there should be a way
 to use either the temporary basal rate or the square wave feature to fix
 this problem but I'm not sure how.  If anyone has any ideas I would
 appreciate it. I think the dual wave might work, the trouble is that I find
 a need the full amount of insulin to stop the initital BG rise.  Right now
 my compromise is to let my BG be too high at 2 hours and just accept that
 it will be on target at 3 to 3and a half hours.  >>
  Stephen is the same way, except it is 3 and a half to four hours before we
see the full affect of a meal bolus, especially dinner.  We realized that
dinner has a lower carb to "other" ratio, than say breakfast, which is mostly
carbs.  So he square waves his entire dinner over an hour for a normal meal
or dual wave with a longer square wave part for high fat meals like Chinese,
pizza or Mexican food.  It seems that this prevents the high for three hours
then sudden drop, because the insulin is being absorbed more efficiently.  A
puddle of insulin doesn't absorb as well as a slow drip, it seems. (for
Stephen anyway)