Re: [IP] night time lows

In a message dated 10/16/99 10:59:42 AM EST, email @ redacted writes:

<< i've been diabetic for almost 15 years (since age 7) and i have never once
 passed out due to low blood sugar. also, i have always woken up in the night
 with low blood sugar. >>

In my 42 years with dm (since age 6) I have never passed out with low blood
sugar either.  I had always (?) awakened when low, but recently have been
getting up in the mornings with borderline lows (60-70) that I was surprised
by.  I usually start to feel low at around 100, so I always check it if I
feel low when I'm awake.  I'm just not feeling low until I actually get out
of bed lately.  I'm wondering if I'm having hypoglycemia unawareness, or if I
would have to be lower to feel it when I'm sleeping.  After this morning's
low of 63 I just went ahead and changed the basal for 5:00-7:00 am from .4 to
.3.  I just hope I'm not sleeping through hours of lows that could need
correcting.  I haven't done a 3 am check in ages, but maybe that's what I
need to do. Has anyone with hypo unawareness had this happen, or did you pass
out when low?  If it was during the night how did you know?  Thanks in
advance for your responses.

Brenda Martinez