Re: [IP] Leaks in o-rings?

There are some good pictures of O-Ring leaks at:

Haven't heard back from you on whether your corrective measures reduced
your BG at all. That information will help determine if you bolused
correctly for the meal, or if there is an insulin delivery problem.

There have been a couple questions recently re: leaking O-Rings.

As you know, the Disetronic cartridges use a plastic plunger for filling
the cartridge. After filling, this plunger is unscrewed and discarded. This
plunger attaches *quite* firmly to the rubber seal in the glass cartridge,
but is quite loose on the plastic cartridges. When I fill the plastic
cartridges, I really need to make sure the plunger is first tightened
(screwed in to the seal in the cartridge) before I start to draw the
insulin from the bottle. Usually not a problem.

However, when I'm in a rush, or fumbling around, or just fighting bubbles,
I tend to bend the plunger to one side or the other as I'm drawing the
insulin from the bottle. Doing so will cause a slight deviation in the seal
in the O-Ring closest to the needle end of the cartridge, allowing a little
bit of insulin in between the O-Rings (in other words, the seal is not
tight at that spot).

So how do I deal with this?

1)  Make sure the plunger doesn't bend to one side or the other as you draw
insulin from the bottle. This will come with practice.

2)  Make sure you have enough air in the insulin bottle to help "push" the
plunger back, so you don't have to pull on it to fill the cartridge.

3)  Check the plunger as you fill the cartridge to ensure it's still
screwed firmly to the base of the seal in the cartridge.

The "normal" guidelines for filling plastic cartridges still apply - move
the plunger back and forth in the barrel a couple times prior to filling,
to distribute the lubricant in the barrel (I do this with glass cartridges
as well - just out of habit).

There's a lot to learn with pumping - sometimes the mechanical stuff takes
a bit of experimentation.

Please let us know how that high BG worked out.

Bob Burnett
mailto:email @ redacted