Re: [IP] Diabetes-attention getter??

>I was wondering if anyone has ever felt that others perceive your diabetes
>a way to get attention from others.

Hi . . .I haven't encountered this (yet) because I make a point to do what I
need to do in a low key way and try really hard not to make a big deal
because I don't want people to view me as "sick." Don't get me wrong, I
don't deny my disease or downplay the importance of it, but I'm really not
into having people automatically think that I"m limited because of my
disease. However, I remember back to my not so long ago non-diabetic days
and being very annoyed at a diabetic friend who seemed to be constantly
calling attention to herself. She would use her diabetes to get special
favors and treatment from others, including me. But I think that it really
depends on how you act as to how others perceive you.  I have had people
tell me that they are very surprised and pleased with the low key way in
which I handle my disease and yet still make it a priority.  I have also had
people tell me that they have met other diabetics who are exactly the