Re: [IP] Re: life expectancy

I have been taking insulin since 1950, starting at age 15.  I would have been
dead a few years if the life expectancy was 45 yrs. after diagnosis.  With
tight control these last 10 years and now the pump (started 10-13-99), I am
looking forward to a much better life expectancy.  Since on the pump have
only had one low; I had gone apple picking and didn't think to suspend.
Because I did my first infusion alone today, I am still a little tentative,
keeping one basal thus far, etc.  The first 35+ years I got along on one shot
daily of long-acting insulin.  It took my internist, whose wife is diabetic a
couple of months to have me try tighter control.  Thank heaven for advances
in medical science!